Home > Archive >Jokesters, Con-Artists & Carpet-Baggers Part III
Author:jc
email:
Sat, Mar 1st, 2014 09:55:29 PM
Topic: Jokesters, Con-Artists & Carpet-Baggers Part III

No compendium of rug trade jokesters and carpetbaggers would be complete without mention of james aka jimbo allen who is, perhaps, the grossest trampler of honesty and reality in rugdom.

His BS and self-promoting crapola would be laughed out of any serious rug-selling venue except for Ebay. And that's where jimbo plies his over restored at best, and out right fakes at worst, rugs to the unsuspecting and gullible who believe the farcical poppycock allen invents about himself and the alleged "museum quality" rugs in his sales.

Obviously jimbo has no shame, as this paragraph from his website demonstrates:
"I sell value: You can put your trust in me to help you acquire true art treasures.

Getting what you pay for is only part of the equation here at a-bey.com.

The feeling of quality and timelessness transferred from the "authentic" tribal artifact to ones own self is truly a sublime experience.

It is much like being transported from "here" to some "other" time in place.

The qualities, virtues, the native person embues(sic) each and every handmade object with is experienced directly by the sensitive person, the aesthete.

I am assuredly such a person and you can have faith first and foremost in my aesthetic TASTE.

I have sold major pieces of ethnographic art to many of the contemporary collections in America today. Because I sell value I intend to be selling here for a long time.”

The only thing sublime about allen and his over restored or fake rugs is feeling his greasy fingers in your wallet as he is selling them to you.

And the only timeless quality a jimbo allen rug will have in your home or collection is the misery it will bring when you, the unsuspecting buyer finds out the truth about your "museum quality" treasure.

Sadly the jokes a charlatan like allen cracks invariably bring tears to his audience of naive mokes and suckers who eventually all learn you don’t always get what you pay for, especially when you make the error of believing a snake-oil salesman like james allen.

Author: jim mcginnis
email: jdmhowl1947@gmail.com
Sat, Mar 1st, 2014 09:55:29 PM

My previous post should have read as "it" rather than I. My apologies

Author: jim mcginnis
email: jdmhowl1947@gmail.com
Sat, Mar 1st, 2014 09:43:17 PM

I suggest everyone read "A Canticle for Leibowitz" I will explain Mr. Allen's worldview in the clearest way.

Author: jc
email:
Thu, Dec 8th, 2005 12:43:51 AM

But as guilty as james allen is, in our opinion, of stealing money from most of his "clients" and spinning spurious inventions about his wares and career as a rug scholar and savant, he is a only a small time peddler compared with some one like dennis dodds.

RK has written at length about allen and dodds but felt we had to give credit where credit is due and name dodds as the king of the carpetbaggers.

Since we have known him dodds has had the reputation of selling mediocre rugs for extraordinarily high prices. And believe us on this one that reputation is well deserved. Very well deserved.

The dud of a supposed 16th Century "Bellini" re-entrant rug dodds pawned off on LACMA(the Los Angeles Art Museum) for $250,000.oo sets a standard for carpet bagging that will be hard to beat.

Unfortunately for dodds, who got caught by RK as he was laughing all the way to the bank, the blatantly dubious spiel that sealed the deal with LACMA’s naive ex-curator, dale gluckman, will come back to gnaw at him big time.

Were it not for RK and this website dodds would have gotten away with the heist scott-free but it should now be clear to him and LACMA we will not rest our case until that late period genre reproduction "Bellini" of his is returned to him and the substantial and totally unsupportable purchase price he received is returned to LACMA's Collector's Committee that was hoodwinked into believing dodds’s dud of a rug was something it surely isn't.

We have said it before and we will say it again now: Either dodds is a duplicitous carpet bagging con-man or a just a plain old ordinary rug ignoramus.

So like Yogi Berra, the famous NY Yankee catcher, once quipped "It ain't over till it's over" dodds had better get ready to hear that fat lady sing because, sure as a fly in a toilet bowl won't escape the centrifugal force of that spinning water, he won't be clapping when the curtain comes down at the end of her long over due aria.

Home   Buy/Sell at the Kazbah   Terms Of Service