Home > Archive >Catal Huyuk, Mellaart & the Dumb Bastard Part II
Author:jc
email: jc@rugkazbah.com
Tue, May 23rd, 2006 10:55:55 AM
Topic: Catal Huyuk, Mellaart & the Dumb Bastard Part II

(ed. what appears below is RK's reply to questions raised by a reader who posted them in Part I of this discussion.)

Defamation, libel or slander require that the statements made about somebody are not true. I know you know this, because I learned it from you.

I tried to learn the truth about James Mellaart so I could see whether Price defamed him or just spoke the truth about him. What I read is that he was an archeologist who made a very important find (Catal Hoyuk) while he was still young (by 1965), and wrote a couple of good books based on it.

>>>Catal Huyuk is only one of Mellaart’s ‘discoveries’, another is the Neolithic site of Hacilar, which is also located in central Turkey and almost as important as Catal Huyuk.

He then got banned from coming to Turkey for theft of important cultural works. >>>>>Mellaart never stole anything and was never even tried for supposedly doing so, only slandered.

Nor was he banned from Turkey. What happened was the Turkish government refused to renew his permit to dig at Catal Huyuk. That’s it. Period.

The entire incident, was memorialized in a well researched and documented book published by two French journalists entitled "The Dorak Affair".

Go read it and you will learn the truth about Mellaarts misadventure instead of gossip and dumb-bell remarks akin professor clown’s that you state.

Some years later, he wrote more about Catal Hoyuk. A lot of it was inconsistent with his earlier reports, and is regarded by some professional archeologists as fraudulent.

>>>Basically, he did not write about Catal Huyuk, he wrote about the possibilities there were slit tapestry weavings(kelims) used there and referenced instances from Catal Huyuk where he felt evidence existed to prove that thesis.

By the way the jury is still out on that one, as digging has now been restarted at Catal. No one knows if Mellaart’s flawed references might end up being proven as fact, surely not steev price, who has never read anything other than the comic book style reportage hali and oriental rug review published about Mellaart and Catal Huyuk.

That said, the inconsistencies noted in the latter journal are ostensibly correct but we have always said concentrating on them and not the far more meaningful, voluminous and significant data of Mellaart’s discovery is like throwing out the baby with the bath water – myopic and just plain dumb.

You mention that you sponsored some of his work. Since you were not even an adult when he did the work that made him famous, this must have involved the things he did later.

>>>>(We are, for the record, almost 60 so that comment, while true enough, is not really correct, as we lived in NY State and 18 is considered an adult)

However, RK never said we sponsored his work, we said we worked with him and that we did.

Briefly, our collaboration involved my formulating the original concept and idea that became the thesis, a book entitled “The Goddess from Anatolia”, promulgated.

After conceiving the idea for a book illustrating the small collection of archaic kelims I owned alongside the Mellaart Catal Huyuk material and contemporary ethnographic field work Belkis Balpinar and her former consort udo hirsch were doing, RK hired them to work with me on that project. I then labored with Mellaart and Balpinar from 1983 until 1987.

Sometime in the late part of 1987, to make a long story very short, RK realized Mellaart was going deeper into uncharted waters by using supposition and unproven ideas as documentation to support his contention slit-tapestries were extant in the 7th and 8th millennia B.C. at Catal Huyuk.

Because I saw Mellaart’s suppositions as a liability to the validity of the work and research I had so carefully documented, I decided to break my kelim collection and independent archaeological research away from the Mellaart/Balpinar project I had conceived and worked for years to realize.

That collection and my work soon was published as a two volume work – “Image Idol Symbol: Ancient Anatolian Kelims".

detail, Plate I “Image Idol Symbol:Ancient Anatolian Kelims"

Because I was the originator and the original publisher of what then became “The Goddess from Anatolia”, I arranged for jon eskanazi and hirsch to take over the project.

If you have a copy of that book you will see the first credit listed thanks me for the original concept and work I did to further it.

The “Image Idol Symbol” book stands witness to not only to my original and independent research, and the archaic group collection of kelims I still own, but, more importantly, it set a high standard many other subsequent books on Oriental Rugs, not only Anatolian slit tapestries, have tried to achieve.

But back to Mellaart.

Yes, it is true he referenced wall paintings and other material in his later writing that was aimed at a rug world audience and not only in “The Goddess from Anatolia”. Some of those references were flawed and Mellaart’s explanations are inadequate.

I knew this and that was the only reasons I withdrew from the project I conceived and nurtured for 4 years.

In the end, this is not meant as a recital of what happened but one directed at professor price=clown’s outrageous defamation of Mellaart, me and our work together.

I will be glad to compare my “Image Idol Symbol” work with his doctoral thesis, or anything else, steev the clown has published.

I will do this any day, any where and at any time and am sure in anyone’s eyes, who has no agenda to forward or any pre-conceived prejudices, my work will eclipse his in importance and lasting meaning hands down.

If you doubt what we say, go read our work, as it is republished in entirety as the first exhibition on the Weaving Art Museum website with our collection of Archaic and Classic period kelims there for all to see.

If all of that is true, then Price didn't defame or libel him, he told the truth.

>>>>The clown of rugdom, steev price, doesn’t know what truth is and the facts of the story prove he is nothing more than a big-mouth whose front teeth are stained brown because he is full of crapola. Period.

You must have a different story, because you say that Mellaart only made some mistakes. Serious mistakes, but not fraud.

Please educate your readers by telling us the real story of Mellaart, and of your involvement with his work.

>>>>You now know part of the rest of the story, the main points here concern not only Mellaart, our work with him or our own accomplishments but solely their presentation to factually demonstrate, once again ad nauseum, what an ignoramus and boorish pedant steev price is, has been, and always will be.

Author: Cevat Kanig
email:
Tue, May 23rd, 2006 07:45:09 AM

RK Replies:

As with everything you appear to know, cevat, there is an element of reality and much that is far from it.

The Article in the London Illustrated News was published soon after Jimmy met her, with weeks in fact..

As soon as it hit the news stands questions about the "treasures" were raised by many in the archaeological community in Europe, and that’s what started the ball rolling down hill.

All what I say is fact, history has time/date stamped this whole business, go do the research and you will see for yourself..

But once again, anyone who has enough intellectual capacity to differentiate a radio from a radiator could care less about all the innuendo and mis-information Mellaart's errors of judgment have caused.

James Mellaart, as you seem to realize, is a very important archaeologist, however, the discovery of Catal Huyuk is not a Rosetta Stone proving the Greeks were late comers on the ladder of man's ever growing penchant to develop "technology", as many hundreds of early archaeological sites -- that pre-date the Greeks by millennia, forget centuries -- were extant before Mellaart first glimpsed the hill of bulls (Catal Huyuk).

In the years I spent researching and studying Near Eastern Archaeology this fact was proven to me again and again.

By the way, that penchant for technology mankind relentlessly pursues has now turned on us all and, if nothing is done to stop this soon, we will all pay the price for allowing it to over run and destroy far more important and meaningful ones.

So please, enough of this questioning of what happened to Mellaart on that train -- I know the real story from his lips to my ears and frankly we need to move on.

=============================================

Hi Jack, Let me tell you the story from Turkish side. Whole Word was thinking that the civilization are began with Greek and Roman empires, but Mellarts made a word wide discovery that there is older civilizations 6, 7 thousand years old, that is very important for an archeolog to digging out a new civilizations, so Mellart is a person who have that pleasure and name that will remain in the world history for Discovering the Catalhoyuk. In the summer 1958, he goes to Izmir area for digging work from Istanbul by a train, he meets a 21 years old young women in the same compartment, they start to talk on the way to Izmir , Young women was wearing a gold bracelet, that takes Mellaart attention and then he tells her that he is an archeolog and request to observe the bracelet, young lady gave him permit ion and also invites him to her house to show him the treasures that she found in Dorak, and they go the lady’s house together in Karsiyaka/Izmir, they eat dinner together after dinner young lady shows him the treasures one by one, Mellaart’s Camera was broken and ask to draw the pictures of the treasures, the young lady gave him permit ion and Mellaart draws the pictures in 3 days in her home. 4 years later 05/29/1962 he published the drawings in Illustrated London News Magazin.{ why he wait that long?} Then, 2 and half years later after published in Illustrated London News, Turan Aytul who is a Turkish Jornalist in “Milliyet” newspaper, he starts a campaign for 3 days, after this campaign, government makes an investigation and founds out there is no such a person name “Anna Papastrati” and not such as address “217 Kazım Dirik Caddesi Karsiyaka/Izmir exist or existed, and Mellaart digging permit is canceled. From1958 till now 2006, it is 48 years, the treasures not found yet, what a mystery!

Author: Cevat Kanig
email:
Mon, May 22nd, 2006 10:10:24 PM

RK Replies:

You are welcome to post here, cevat, as long as you act properly.

Your question can be answered by your getting the book I wrote about -- the one written by the two French journalists called "The Dorak Affair".

I don't have the time or desire to recount the entire story but everything is explained in that book and basically the reason the "house" of the young woman Mellaart met could not be found was the result of a change of street names done by the city of Izmir.

But you, like most people who have only the desire to disbelieve Mellaart's unassailable discoveries and accomplishments, focus on silly, stupid issues while those that are truly pertinent go unrecognized.

RK doesn't really expect more from rugdom, which has proven itself to be uneducated and basically illiterate.

So go find the book and read it if you, or anyone else, is so interested in what happened but realize Mellaart never stole anything, lives a quiet and quite modest life in London and, after the thousands of hours we have spent together, RK can positively state Jimmy never stole anything and that what he claimed to have seen, the so-called Dorak Treasure, surely existed but he never owned it nor did he profit in any from it.

RK is not interested or willing to waste more time defending someone, James Mellaart, to anyone who has enough intelligence to open a door and learn the truth for themself.

Everyone makes errors and misjudgments in their life, Mellaart is no exception. However, when someone’s accomplishments are of stellar quality, as are Jimmy's, their errors deserve to be buried far below those accomplishments.

The fact in Mellaart's case they have not been shows how powerful and important his accomplishments are -- remember the modern Turkish nation, and its government, wishes to trace its ancestry back to Central Asia and not to some "peasants" who lived on a hill, called Catal Huyuk, circa 8,000B.C..

And that, cevat and all you other ill-informed and lazy ruggies, is the real reason Mellaart was setup and prevented from further excavations that would further disprove that myth.

Here is the reference for the book:
”The Dorak Affair”
written by Kenneth Pearson and Patricia Connor
Publisher: New York, Atheneum, 1968 [©1967]

================================

Hi Jack, If Dorak treasures are exist, could you let us know that where the Dorak Treasures are? According to Mellaart he had seen the treasures in a home of a young woman in Izmir, but Turkish Government could not found her name and the address that Mallaart claimed,The name and the address was not existed,Mellaart's digging permit was canceled because of suspicion of smuggling out antiquities.

Home   Buy/Sell at the Kazbah   Terms Of Service