Home > Archive >Some UnAmusing Musings
Author:jc
email:
Sat, Feb 9th, 2008 11:28:18 AM
Topic: Some UnAmusing Musings

Virginia Commonwealth University professor steve, the rug-clown, price recently wrote a post on his rug-amateur-hour-website entitled “some amusing musings”.

However RK, and anyone else who has even a cursory knowledge and interest in oriental rugs, would have to view what price stupidly scribbled as totally un-amusing.

In fact, we view it as nothing more than another example of price's pathetic misunderstanding of what serious carpet collecting and research is all about.

Here's the rug-challenged professor price's view:

"Someone, I think it was the late George O'Bannon (to whom Rugdom owes so much), who told me that collectors are either lumpers or dividers. Dividers try to make very fine attributions, and are uncomfortable when they can't. Lumpers are content with rather coarse attributions.

I think most collectors are lumpers, although I may be mistaken about that. My impression is that most of us don't much care about precise attributions, and care at all because it bears on market value and because it is a convenient shorthand in communication. All other things being equal, a Salor torba is much more valuable than an Ersari torba, so it's worth the collectors time to learn how to tell one from the other before he hits the marketplace. And if someone tells me that he has (for example) a late 19th century Tekke juval, I know something about what it looks like just from that.

It's certainly easier to be a lumper - much less to learn and fret about. I've noticed an increasing numbers of dividers participating in **** over the past few years. It's not a problem, and I'm not directing attention to it as an attempt to make it stop. I just think it's interesting. I don't believe that it's a general recent trend among collectors, but that it's probably a peculiarity of our participant population. Why has it happened? My guess is that it reflects the entry of a number of people who actually know something about the geography, history and ethnography of the weavers who made (or make) the stuff that they collect.

One of the things I've learned about myself from it is that I'm not nearly as interested in the ethnohistory(sic) of the tribal things that I collect as I thought I was. In fact, my eyes glaze over pretty quickly when presented with the names of dozens of weaving subtribes(sic), clans, who wove, the names of their home villages, and how to tell the products of one from another. The primary appeal to me is still aesthetic, with an overlay of interest in ethnohistory(sic), but at a fairly shallow level."

First off let RK inform price and anyone else who is under the false impression rugdom owes anything to george o'bannon that this is absurd BS.

The reality obannon was nothing other than a quite mis-informed, quasi-failed, rug dealer turned pseudo-rug-academic is far more the case than his "public" reputation belies.

Naturally Virginia Commonwealth University professor steve, the rug idiot, price and others of his ilk -- and there are plenty -- wouldn't/ couldn't know the truth about obannon, and other alleged expurts like him, because price doesn't understand enough about the subject to differentiate between a big-mouth say nothing poseur like obannon and someone who does have something important to say about old rugs.

RK would like anyone to show us examples of obannon’s supposed rug expertise, instead of, like price, stupidly mouthing platitudes to dear departed george obannon.

Good riddens to him is all RK would add to price's absurd homily.

Secondly, the fact price believes "My impression is that most of us don't much care about precise attributions, and care at all because it bears on market value and because it is a convenient shorthand in communication." might be gently described as his putting bogus words into the mouths of those who do take the subject seriously -- far more seriously than rug-airport-art collector price claims.

Without those who are expert, and take their interest in this subject to higher levels than price could ever, a rug idiot like steev wouldn't know a Salor from an Ersari. This is not to say he does, as he cannot help but prove otherwise almost everytime he opens his yapper

Fact is price, his website, his group of rug magpies and numerous others from rugdom's large assortment of barnyard rug dumb-bells owe a strong debt to those few who do real work in this art-area.

Surely, obannon was/is not included in this group, but was rather just another self-impressed rug impresario with a big mouth and little to say.

However, compared with price and his crew obannon was a rug-super-star; not to say that's hardly worth even half a mouth of warm spit.

Lastly, and if this doesn't take the cake on proving what a rug-jerk and fool price is, we don't know what could possibly top it:

"One of the things I've learned about myself from it is that I'm not nearly as interested in the ethnohistory of the tribal things that I collect as I thought I was. In fact, my eyes glaze over pretty quickly when presented with the names of dozens of weaving subtribes, clans, who wove, the names of their home villages, and how to tell the products of one from another. The primary appeal to me is still aesthetic, with an overlay of interest in ethnohistory, but at a fairly shallow level."

Let RK disinform Virginia Commonwealth University professor price the reason his eyes "glaze over" when trying to learn the intricacies of rug identification is not for any reason other than his ridiculously low intellectual curiosity and capacity to learn about these objects.

His statement makes plain the reality his ideas of rug-aesthetics are nothing more than an expression of a penchant to buy and collect airport-art rugs in the mistaken notion they are real "tribal art".

Why price continues to believe he, and his dumb-ass rug discussion website, accomplish anything other than demonstrating his distinct failures and inability to understand, let alone further, real rug knowledge and expertise is surely one of the largest questions rugdom needs to ponder.

Get off the net, price=clown, and take all your ridiculous, self-serving, pompous and self-impressed BS with you.

Author: Trooth Seeker
email:
Sat, Feb 9th, 2008 11:28:18 AM

RK Replies:

Did we hit a nerve or are you just referring to yourself, "trooth seeking" dingo?

Surely you can't be referring to RK, who has disseminated more FREE rug knowledge and expertise than anyone else ever has.

And by the way, anonymouse, what of worth have you ever squeeked, squeeky?

Instead of squawking here why dont'cha take a walk on Fifth Ave, stop in at one of those "going out of business" rug stores and pick up a new piece for your "collection".

Oh, sorry, that's right how could we forget: now that your expurt, say nothing george obannon, ain't here to give you pointers and advice you probably have given up collecting airport-art rugs and moved on to------ beanie-babies.

Enjoy...yourself dingo-dong

=============================

Speaking of "a big-mouth say nothing poseur" ...

Home   Buy/Sell at the Kazbah   Terms Of Service