Home > Turkmen Rugs >The Somerset House Conference
Author:John Lewis
email: john_lewis@mac.com
Thu, Apr 27th, 2017 01:53:57 AM
Topic: The Somerset House Conference

Hi, I have been reading "This Orient Isle" (Jerry Brotton) and there is a picture in it that may be of interest to you - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerset_House_Conference_(painting)#/media/File:The_Somerset_House_Conference,_1604_from_NPG.jpg

Author: jc
email:
Thu, Apr 27th, 2017 01:53:57 AM

There is little doubt Anatolian rugs and Turkmen rugs have strong relationships and most probably are branches from the same earlier tree.

RK's plans, still completely unfulfilled, to build a data base of dye and fiber analysis testings would be the most effective way to begin to understand this connection.

But, alas, rugDumb would rather support a clown like jorg rageth and his bogus C14 testing. And that rag hali, the neutered Textile Museum, other institutions like the Met in NY, LACMA in LA or the BFA in Boston, and all the ineffective rug "societies" could get together to begin to fund such a project.

Ha, Ha, no one cares or will get off their butts to do anything, and therefore rugDUMB languishes.

Frankly, we have given up even thinking this might happen.

Author: John Lewis
email: john_lewis@mac.com
Wed, Apr 26th, 2017 07:55:23 AM

I had not seen it before but noticed that it seemed to be derived from Salor/Saryk iconography and that the gentlemen 2nd left bears an uncanny resemblance to Jeremy Corbyn Regards

Author: jc
email:
Tue, Apr 25th, 2017 06:14:33 AM

Hi John, always nice to hear from you.

Yes, that pictures of those burghers sitting around the table with the large pattern Holbein (LPH) carpet on it is a well known reference.

In fact it was on the cover of an issue of that rag hali if my memory serves me well. It also, if I remember correctly, was used as a publicity picture during the first london icoc event in 1978.

In any event LPH's are not exactly what floats our boat, but RK surely would not mind finding one under our Xmas tree this December.

Home   Buy/Sell at the Kazbah   Terms Of Service